Friday, April 17, 2009

The importance of peace

My husband and I have joined a new Bible study that is focused on peacemaking. As we sat there tonight discussing the things we'd learned, I was amazed at one issue that continued to come up. We're often terrified to be vulnerable and to yield our entitlements, even for the sake of peace.

It's amazing to me the things we'll hang onto. We'll hold grudges and take up offenses - we'll gossip and point fingers of blame - we'll even stir up the past in order to prove a point that should have long been laid to rest. And that's just in the church body. In the world things are just as vicious, but somehow it seems more acceptable, after all they aren't living by the Word. In the body, we're supposed to be all about peace and forgiveness. The very foundation of who we are in Christ has a basic ministry of reconcilation.

Romans 12:18 says If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

That's a huge responsibility, and it's one we cannot do even marginally well without the help of Jesus.

So often when issues come up, especially when we know we're right about something, we can't seem to let it go. We can't just turn it over to God and be at peace. Not long ago I saw a woman on Dr. Phil who was arguing her point about a problem in her marriage. She told him over and over, "But I'm right and he's wrong."

Dr. Phil asked her point blank, "Would you rather be right or have peace in your marriage."



That stopped me cold in my tracks. When we're certain that we're right about something - honest and truly Bible-based right, we feel the need to be acknowledged--to have our point of view declared valid. And, often it comes at the cost of peace.

I couldn't help but think about that tonight as we talked and continue to think on it now.

Would I rather have peace or be right?




It's powerful food for thought, so eat up. I'd love to hear what you think.

Tracie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact