Friday, January 15, 2010

Stepping Outside


No, I wasn't referencing enjoying the frozen outdoors, rather I was thinking of stepping outside of your comfort zone.

I remember so many times when I was younger that I missed opportunities because I was either afraid or embarrassed to step outside of my comfort zone. There were so many things I wanted to try and didn't for whatever the reason.

I once told a friend that I loved to wear hats, but never do because it's not really the style these days. I also don't have a lot of hats, but I said to her, "I hope that I don't pass from this earth without having worn hats." Sounds silly, I know. And yes, occasionally I do get to wear a nice hat, however, it really struck me that there are other things that I would like to do and hesitate.
Then there are those thing that I feel called to do and balk at--because they make me uncomfortable.

Recently one of those things came to light. God has been after me for some time to step up and take over our ladies ministry at church. I love the women in my church, but just couldn't imagine how I would ever have the time. I love serving God, but couldn't figure out how it would work. But I felt God wanted my obedience and very cautiously I gave it. What a blessing. God did as He always does. He provided. I have a wonderful team of ladies who already knew the ropes and what was needed. God has multiplied the time like He did the loaves and fishes, and we had the most marvelous Ugly Sweater party at my house last Tuesday night. Sometimes trust comes hard.

So now I'm thinking of other things that take me outside of my comfort zone. My mom recently came running into my office and announced she was going across the street to ask the neighbor if he'd give her a snowmobile ride. He was out riding in his yard (around the ice rink) and she had never been on a snowmobile. So at 70, she braved up - or cowgirled up as we say here - and got her first snowmobile ride. I, of course, had to take photos. I'm proud of her for giving it a go. Now she's talking about cross-country sking and that makes me a little nervous, but oh well. Sometimes you just have to do these things.

So if you feel called to something--if God's been whispering in your ear--I want to encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and give it a shot. I'm not sorry I did.

Tracie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact