Friday, March 26, 2010

Plugging Into The Power Source




I've been digging through research from my trip to Georgia with Judy in order to work on the story outline. I continue to be enraptured by the live oaks--hold pleasant memories of the food and people--and can't wait to go back. Now for me - a gal who hates hot weather and humidity - that's saying something.

I recently read a book titled SAVING CEE CEE HONEYCUTT by Beth Hoffman. There was a little language in it, but otherwise I found the story so delightful. And, as a bonus, much of it was set in Savannah. It was great fun to read that book and remember sights and settings from my trip. It made me very mindful of the power authors have over the reader. It also reminded me of the responsibility I have to the reader.

Beth Hoffman caused me to feel a part of life in Savannah. She drew me into this story with strong characters, vivid setting and a tenderness of heart that left me smiling when I closed the book. As an author, I want to reach readers in such a way that they feel not only a part of the plot and setting, but that the hope God has given me--the joy I have in His love is evident at the heart of my story.

I want to share that same joy, hope and love in my daily walk. At church on Wednesday nights we're studying about discipleship, and last night we discussed what discipleship is and what's needed to be successful. One thing that seemed evident was that to disciple another person--you must be passionate about, and invested in what you believe. You need to be plugged into the right source of power. It came to me that sharing with someone in this capacity or in my writing ministry, I'm rather like an extension cord. If I'm plugged into the reader, but not plugged into the source of power--I really have nothing to offer. It isn't until I plug into the power of God, that I can share anything of value with anyone. Without that power, I'm just a dangling extension cord that offers nothing of substance, but can definitely be a hindrance. The opposite is also true--an extension cord plugged into the power source and not connected to anything else is also rather useless.




My challenge to you today is to plug into the power source, then stand ready to plug into someone else--someone who maybe can't quite reach the source on their own--someone who desperately needs the extension of grace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact