Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week Two on our Trip Across America

I'm having a great time on the booktour. I've met so many wonderful people and have very much enjoyed getting to share with them why I write and how much I love the Lord.




We battled the waterlogged areas of eastern North Dakota and western Minnesota. I hope you'll continue to pray for those folks. They are quite desperate to get crops planted in soggy fields and to see life return to normal. There's some mighty beautiful farm country in Northern Minnesota!



We have spent all week in Minnesota and enjoyed learning a little of the history. We were on the banks of Muskeg Bay at Warroad and learned that the area long ago had a fort and was considered the western capital of the French empire in the Northwest.















I did an event in Hallock and met the wonderful Peggy Pearson who runs the library in Hallock, Minnesota.











I did an event in Greenbush, MN.









"Sha Ach Wah", which means spruce tree or green bush in Chippewa, the local Indian language, was the inspiration for the name of the city of Greenbush. Angie Peterson (no relation that I know of) was the one who encouraged my coming to Minnesota for the various libraries of the Northwest. It was definitely a great idea.



We spent several nights in Thief River Falls, Minnesota - so called because - The name of the river is a loose translation of the Ojibwe phrase, Gimood-akiwi ziibi, literally, the "Stolen-land river" or "Thieving Land river," which originated when a band of Dakota Indians occupied a secret encampment along the river, hence "stealing" the land, before being discovered and routed by the neighboring Ojibwe.



We've got to see crop dusters

and neat cemeteries. Jim managed to snap pictures of gravemarkers - this one with the 23rd Psalm in Swedish at the cemetery in Upsala, MN.





The travel definitely keeps us busy, but I am so blessed. Jim and I have spent time talking to so many of the readers and praying with them. It's been a great way to spend my "summer vacation."



God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact