Friday, May 11, 2012

Climbing the M

I think I've mentioned before that in my weight loss, get healthier plans, I have a goal to climb the M.
You can see a bit of M in the upper left corner. To the north of Bozeman, is the giant white rocked M that remains a popular hike for the locals and tourists alike. Put together by the folks at Montana State University back in 1915, the hike up the M is 1.6 miles one way and goes from around 5,000 ft. in elevation to nearly 6,000 ft.
There are a couple of trails - a rocky and difficult one that is super steep and one that is a little more manageable. So which did we choose? The rocky, steep one of course. About a month ago, we decided to do a little piece of the climb. We made it only a little ways. The altitude and trail were definitely a challenge for me. The views, however were awesome.
This week we went back for another hike. The views and the vegetation were awesome to see and the weather, although overcast and chilly, was perfect for a hike.
I knew I wouldn't be able to do the whole trail, but I wanted to make it farther than before. Did I ever! I had to rest ever so often and the altitude was definitely a challenge.
My sweet husband Jim went with me and was so patient. He has some back disabilities that often keep him from being able to walk very far, much less mountain climb. But we both took it slow and easy and helped each other. It was an awesome thing for a couple who've been married for almost 33 years.
We figure we did about 1/2 the 1.6 mile trail. I could see the white rocks of the M closer than ever, but they were still out of reach. The muscles (if you can call them that) in my legs were pushed as far as they could go and I knew I still had the arduous task of getting back down. So we congratulated ourselves on having made it 1/2 way and started back.
For the fun of it, I've included a video from youtube of someone else's hike, but it will give you a better idea of the trail. One of these days I'll make it to the top. I know I will. It will take time and more weight loss, but that's the plan. I'll keep you posted and if you ever get over this way, make time to climb the M. God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact